Avocados are magic. They are highly nutritious and if you eat one a day, you will stay healthy, strong and young for a long while.
Although we recommend always buying, not just organic, but also from as close to where you live as possible, we do make the exception for avocados. These come usually from Mexico or Peru and they are too perfect and nutritious to not be part of your daily diet. So much, we recommend growing your own avocado tree at home! 😉
Why are avocados so beneficial?
As “boring” data, we will tell you that avocados have a high amount in vitamins A, E, B1, B2, B3 and B6. They are also rich in Omega-3, potassium (even more than bananas!), sodium, phosphorus, calcium, magnesium, fibre and folic acid. Its rich content in healthy fat help fight the effects of bad fats we may have eaten.
Translated into less boring language:
- they help you have a good pregnancy
- strengthen immune system
- reduce anxiety and nervous states
- prevent eye problems
- help you fight cancer
- protect against colds and flu
- Keep you young by slowing down aging
- protect your heart
- optimize brain function and memory
- help you lose weight by giving you a sense of being full and providing extra fibre.
- its fat help prevent or improve illnesses like Alzheimer, depression or multiple sclerosis.
- fight bad cholesterol
- boost fertility
- keeps a smooth skin and heals acne scars
Avocados are also great as cosmetic. They make perfect masks for both skin and hair.
Avocado seeds are also highly beneficial. You can peel off its brown skin and then grate it. The grated seed can be used as an infusion or an extra for salads.
Once you open an avocado, oxidation makes it go black and bad pretty easily. If you are planning to eat only half an avocado, you can prevent oxidation y keeping the seed in the avocado you are not using, put a bit of lemon juice on the avocado, wrap it in plastic foil and putting it in the fridge. Still, you should eat it in less than 24 hours.